When I am in the mood for falafel but not in the mood of frying, I make this falafel mix. Then we stuff it in pitas with pickles, salads, tahini and harissa. Believe it or not, it tastes like falafel.
- 2 garlic cloves
- Handful cilantro
- Handful parsley
- 2 1 15oz. can garbanzo beans - rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tomatoes
- ¼ cup tahini butter
- ½ lemon
- Preheat the oven to 360°F/190°C.
- Chop the garlic, cilantro and parsley and put in a medium bowl. Add the chickpeas, cumin, oil and salt, and toss. Put the mixture on a baking tray, lined with baking paper, and bake for 15 minutes. The chickpeas will harden a bit.Don't rinse the bowl.
- Meanwhile make the tahini sauce: put the tahini in a cereal-size bowl, squeeze the lemon juice in and add gradually ¼ cup water, constantly mixing until creamy and smooth*. Dice the onion small.
- Put the cooked chickpeas back in the bowl. Add the diced onion, grate the tomato straight in the bowl and drizzle 2 tablespoons of the tahini sauce. Toss and taste, add salt if necessary. Serve in pitas or any bread, pickled cucumber or cornichons), tahini sauce and harissa.