Chickpeas & Amaranth Tagine
My plant-based interpretation to spicy Moroccan fish tagine.
- 1 cup amaranth seeds
- 4 garlic cloves - sliced
- 1 red bell pepper - sliced widthwise
- 12 grape tomatoes - cut into halves or 2-4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 California dry chilis - toast them for a minute or two in a toaster oven or char in a skillet over high heat
- handful cilantro - washed carefully and chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric or fresh
- ½ cup of olive oil mixed with 1 tablespoon smoked paprika and 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 2 cups cooked or jarred chickpeas
Put all the ingredients, except for the spices and chickpeas, in a wide pot or heavy skillet. Cover with filtered water (about 4 cups) and bring to a boil. Cook on high heat for ten minutes. Add the spices and reduce to a simmer, uncovered.
Simmer for 35 - 40 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the chickpeas and cook for 5 minutes more. Taste and add salt if necessary. Serve in deep plates.