My older sister and I always exchange recipes. She also spends many hours in the kitchen. Like me and the rest of my family. She gave me the recipe for this salad. I didn’t have a pineapple so I used blood oranges instead. To be honest, I would have done that even if I had a pineapple because red oranges make the salad look more dramatic. Flavor wise, both fruits are acidic and sweet therefore the salads are equally delicious.
Blood Orange Waldorf Salad
- 5 blood oranges diced - or oranges, grapefruit or pomelo
- 4 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- Handful cilantro and dill or just one of them, chopped
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon (optional)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise or Veganaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Put all the ingredients in a medium salad bowl and toss. Taste and correct seasoning. Serve or refrigerate up to 1 day.