Here is an idea for something you can make with oranges or blood oranges beside orange madeleines and caramelized oranges. Something savory for a change. First I thought about making my grandmother’s orange salad with black olives but the boys wouldn’t like it. I decided to make my sister’s Waldorf salad but instead of pineapple I would use blood oranges, they are sweet, juicy and acidic, just like pine apple. It’s delicious!
Blood Orange Waldorf Salad
- 5 blood oranges or oranges or red grapefruit, peeled and diced
- 4 celery sticks, sliced thinly
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- Handful cilantro and dill or just one of them, chopped
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon (optional)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise or Veganaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Put all the ingredients in a medium salad bowl and toss. Taste and correct seasoning. Serve or refrigerate up to 1 day.