My older sister and I always exchange recipes. She also spends many hours in the kitchen. Like me and the rest of my family. She gave me the recipe for this salad. I didn’t have a pineapple so I used blood oranges instead. To be honest, I would have done that even if I had a pineapple because red oranges make the salad look more dramatic. Flavor wise, both fruits are acidic and sweet therefore the salads are equally delicious.
If you bought a whole sack of blood oranges and you need more ideas you should try the orange madeleines or caramelized oranges.
Blood Orange Waldorf Salad
Naturally sweet and sour wintery salad. easy to prepare and requires only 5 ingredients.
- 5 blood oranges diced - or oranges, grapefruit or pomelo
- 4 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- Handful cilantro and dill or just one of them, chopped
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon (optional)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise or Veganaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Put all the ingredients in a medium salad bowl and toss. Taste and correct seasoning. Serve or refrigerate up to 1 day.