It’s strange to cook for one when you used to cook for two, four, or more. This week I am home alone. Hallelujah! My husband is in New York and the boys are in school. I was content eating my quick bruschetta in peace and quiet.
Purple vegetables are over rated, overly priced and not that flavorful as their plain sisters and brothers. I am mostly referring to purple carrots, purple cauliflower and purple tomatoes.
My kind of meals; quick, light and healthy. The pesto is homemade but feel free to use store-bought.
Light healthy breakfast in 5 minutes.
- 1 slice any bread of your choice toasted
- 1 tablespoon pesto spread
- 1 tablespoon tapenade or mayonaise
- 1 to mato or 5 -7 small ones – sliced or diced
- 5 black olives - remove pits
- A few slices of purple onion
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Put the toasted bread on baking tray. Spread it with pesto and tapenade and cover it with the rest of the ingredients. Put the baking tray in the toaster oven and toast for 5 minutes. If you don’t have a toaster oven you can use the oven or skip that part. Transfer to a plate, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.