Me: Why do you like this salad very much?
Leo: Because I like super-mega-crunchy vegetables.
Alex: Because it’s good and it has a nice color.
Cabbage Salad With Pumpkin Seeds
This is a quick, healthy and delicious salad that kids love. You can eat this salad for lunch with rice or quinoa, and a drizzle of tahini or peanut butter.
- ½ head red cabbage (or green cabbage if you must)
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 2 -3 scallion - only the green part - or cilantro
- 1 lemon (or lime) – a must!
- 3 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (optional)
- 3 tablespoons Bragg’s or tamari
- ½ teaspoon white pepper or
- Chop the cabbage finely with a sharp knife or Japanese mandoline and put it into a large salad bowl. Sprinkle a little bit of salt and toss.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a toaster oven at 300ºF (160°C) or in a skillet over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Chop the scallion finely and add it into the salad bowl.
- Squeeze the lemon straight into the salad bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and pumpkin seeds, and toss. Taste and correct seasoning.
I wrote pumpkin seeds are optional but they’re actually a must, if you can! They taste meaty – my husband swears they taste like bacon. And don’t try to make it without lemon, it’s a fundamental ingredient in this salad!