I never liked strawberry jam until I made my own strawberry jam and fell in love with it.
- 1 pint strawberries - about
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- 5 – 10 pepper corns
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon brandy or whiskey (optional)
- Wash the strawberries, remove their stem and cut into halves. Put them with the sugar and black pepper corns into a heavy-bottom saucepan, on a medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then lower the heat to simmer and cook for about 20 – 25 minutes (depends on how hard the fruit is), giving it a quick stir every now and again with a wooden spoon. While the liquid gradually thickens, the strawberries will soften.
- Add lemon juice and brandy and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Be careful to not let the bottom of the pot to burn! If the texture is sort of rubbery then the jam is ready! If you taste it, make sure to blow on it for at least twenty second before you put the spoon in your mouth! I burnt my tongue like that bunch of times.
- When the jam is ready, let it cool for 10 minutes, then carefully spoon it into a sterilized* jar and cover with the lid straight away. Let it cool for 10 minutes, then store in the fridge.
- to sterilize the jar I pour boiling water in it and let it sit for 2 minutes. I drain and let it dry while I make the jam.