It’s called sourdough because the process is sour 😉 and long but totally worth it.
It takes about 48 hours in total but about 1 hour active and the rest of the time is inactive .
After you took as much as you needed, put the starter, sealed, it in the fridge.
If you follow the instructions and give it time it should work. First time though is always confusing. Good luck!
- Baking paper
- Plastic wrap or bag
- Large bowl
- 2 Dutch ovens or oven proof pots
- Wooden Spoon
- In a large bowl, using a wooden spoon, mix together 1 cup starter + 1 cup flour + 1 cup water until well combined.
- Cover loosely with a plastic wrap or bag and store in a warm place overnight (minimum 12 hours).
- • • Seal the starter container with a lid and store in the fridge. Feed it at least once a week.
- Add to the same bowl 5 cups flour + 1 tablespoon salt + 2 cups water.
- Mix together with one hand until a wet sticky dough is formed (don’t be tempted to add flour yet. If the dough is too dry add a little bit of water). Knead the dough for 10 mins, it should get less sticky as you knead it. Roll it into a ball, flour the bowl and put it back in the bowl.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for minimum 14 hours.
- Remove from the fridge. Knead the dough in the bowl, flatten it and fold the corners into the center repeatedly, for 10 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 2 equal size pieces and shape them into balls or logs, flour them.
- Line a Dutch oven, heavy pot or loaf pan with baking paper or flour and put the balls in them.
- Cover the pots loosely with a plastic bag and let the bread proof in a warm place for 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F/220°C.
- Score the bread with a sharp knife or razor blade. *
- Put the lids on the pots and bake for 40 minutes.
- Carefully remove the pots from the oven and quickly remove their lids (keep your hands covered, and don't do this in the oven. You can burn yourself).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they get a nice golden color. Let them cool completely.
- You can slice the breads and put them in plastic bags and freeze them.