This is a one-dish meal. It has veggies, herbs, grains and nuts. It has many elements, feel free to skip some or make it with other veggies. Serve with lemony tahini and harissa or schoog. For photography purpose I served it in a big serving plate, but it’s better to serve in a big wide bowl and toss everything together.
Roasted Cauliflower & Pumpkin over Basmati with Toasted Almond & Barberries
- ½ cup avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds – crushed
- 1 small cauliflower – leaves removed
- 2 medium red or white onions – peeled and roughly diced
- 3 cups diced pumpkin
- Handful Cilantro – chopped
- Handful barberries
- Handful toasted almonds
- Basmati rice
- 2 cups basmati Rice
- 4 pods cardamoms – cracked
- 2 ½ cups water
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Mix the avocado oil with spices. Put the cauliflower in the center of a large baking tray and put the pumpkin and onion around it. Brush the cauliflower with the oil mix and pour the rest over the pumpkin and onion. Toss with your hands to coat them in the oil. Bake until the pumpkin is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the basmati rice. Wash the rice carefully until the water is clear. Put it in a medium saucepan, add the water, cardamom pods and salt, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to the lowest heat and cover (the rice comes out better when you wrap and tie a cloth around the lid or cover the pot with a paper towel before you put the lid on. The idea is to keep the steam in the pot ). Cook for 12 minutes and turn off the heat – DO NOT OPEN the pan while the rice is cooking and 5 minutes after you remove from the heat.
- To toast the almonds put them on a baking tray in the oven at 350°F for 5 minutes.
- To soften the barberries and get the flavor out of them, toast them in a skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork. Put 2-3 cups on a large serving plate or a bowl. Put the pumpkin and onion over. Break the cauliflower into florets or chop it roughly and put it over the pumpkin, Sprinkle the barberries, almonds and cilantro and serve with lemony tahini and harissa or schoog on the side.