I love cabbage so much that I asked my jewelry-designer friend to make me a cabbage charm. Vegan-boy on the other has a lot of attitude about cooked cabbage. I must to caramelize the shit out of the cabbage and mix it with pasta in order to seduce that boy.
Everyone l o v e s my easy, cheesy cashew-based sauce. I would say it’s a low-budget sauce, though cashews aren’t so cheap and shouldn’t be cheap (Harvesting and handling cashews is a pain and exposes workers to chemicals). Here in Los Angeles, a pound of cashews costs about $7.99. However, you only need ½ cup for this recipe.
Pasta With Creamy Cabbage Sauce
- ½ cup raw cashew
- ½ large cabbage
- 1 large onion
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 pack pasta or gluten-free pasta
- Soak the cashews in boiling water (if you’re using a hand blender then put them in a big mag or jar). Set aside.
- Slice the cabbage and onion on the thin side. Put a large skillet or over high heat . Pour about ¼ cup of olive oil into it. When the oil is hot, add the cabbage and onion, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and cook on high heat for 2-3 mins. Lower the heat to medium-low and cover. Stir occasionally. If the vegetables brown too quickly, lower the heat. Cook until the cabbage and onion are soft.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pasta. I like to make the pasta in a pot big enough to mix the sauce and pasta together. Drizzle some olive oil on the pasta and toss.
- Drain the cashews and put them back in the cup or in the blender. Add ½ cup + 2 tablespoons filtered water, a pinch of salt and nutmeg (grate the nutmeg for 10 seconds), and blend until smooth and creamy. If the blended cashew is too stiff, add 1 – 2 tablespoons of water.
- Add the cabbage and onion into the pasta pot. Pour the cashew cream over and toss. Cabbage loves black pepper, so add more when you serve.