When I run out of ideas, I start chopping veggies and let them tell me what to do with them. Most of the time, they tell me to keep it simple. Simple yet very satisfying like this one. You can have it with rice, or another grain, or as is. Pickled limes are optional, but highly recommended. They add an addictive, tangy flavor. You can buy them in a jar from Indian grocery stores, or at Jons or Whole Foods. (In Israel I used to buy them on Levinsky). Some brands have preservatives, so make sure to check the label.
Simmered Okra, Sugar Peas & Zucchini In Curry
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or ghee
- 1 onion – diced
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves – minced
- 2 inch ginger – minced
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds – optional
- 6 okras – sliced
- 1 medium green zucchini – diced
- 1 Medium zucchini – or green, diced
- 1 – 2 cups sugar peas – sliced
- 6-10 grape tomatoes or any tomato – optional
- Basmati rice
- Coconut milk – optional
- Olive oil
- Indian pickled limes or pickles lemons – optional
- Warm oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and curry powder. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Don’t let the garlic and curry burn. Lower the heat if necessary.
- Add the veggies and saute them for 3 – 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of water and ½ teaspoon salt and bring into a boil. Lower the heat to simmer and cover the saucepan. Cook for about 15 – 20 minutes until the veggies are tender. Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Meanwhile make the basmati rice.
- Serve in deep plates: put the rice first, then the veggies, then drizzle some coconut milk and olive oil.