I remember the night and the place where my husband and I discovered the amazing combination of fruits and rosemary. It was back in 2010 when we moved to Los Angeles from Israel and visited Sage Vegan Bistro in Echo Park. It was a revelation for us, as we had always associated the piney wooden scent of rosemary with roasted potatoes, until we discovered this funky combination.
When it comes to making this fruit salad, you can use as many types of fruits as you like or stick to just 2-3 kinds, as long as you have oranges, clementines, or grapefruit on hand. Their juice binds the salad together and enhances the flavors.
Wintery Fruit Salad With Rosemary
- 4 apples - any kind
- 4 persimmons
- 2 bananas
- 2-3 asian pears or any pear
- 4 plums
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary - about 20 leaves
- 4 oranges - or mandarines or 2 grapefruit
- Peel and dice the fruits and put them in a large salad bowl. Chop the rosemary leaves finely and add it to the bowl.
- Squeeze in the oranges and pour it into the salad bowl. Toss well and refrigerate until you ready to eat.