The first time I discovered the combination of fruits and rosemary was seven years ago at a vegan bistro in Silver Lake. Until then rosemary was something that I used in potato dishes, breads, crackers.
Its piney wooden flavor works with winter fruits such as apples, pears, oranges, bananas but not with summer fruits.
You can make it with as many fruits you like or with only 2-3 kinds, but make sure you have at hand oranges, clementines or grapefruit to squeeze into it. Their juice is what binds the salad.
Winter Fruit Salad
- 4 apples – any
- 4 persimmons
- 2 bananas
- 2-3 asian pears or any pear
- 4 plums
- 1 small sprig rosemary – (about 20 leaves)
- 4 oranges (or mandarines or 2 grapefruit,)
- 1/4 teaspoon orane blossom (optional)
- Peel and dice the fruits and put them in a large salad bowl. Chop the rosemary leaves finely and add it to the bowl.
- Squeeze in the oranges or grapefruit. Add the orange blossom and toss. Serve in individual bowls or glasses.