The first time I discovered the combination of fruits and rosemary was at Sage, a vegan bistro in Silver Lake. Until then rosemary was something that I used mostly in potato dishes, breads and crackers.
Its piney wooden flavor is incredibly delicious with winter fruits such as apples, pears, oranges, bananas.
You can make this salad with as many fruits you like or with only 2-3 kinds, as long as you have at hand oranges, clementines or grapefruit . Their juice binds the salad.
Winter Fruit Salad
- 4 apples - any
- 4 persimmons
- 2 bananas
- 2-3 asian pears or any pear
- 4 plums
- 1 small sprig rosemary - (about 20 leaves)
- 4 oranges (or mandarines or 2 grapefruit,)
- 1/4 teaspoon orane blossom (optional)
- Peel and dice the fruits and put them in a large salad bowl. Chop the rosemary leaves finely and add it to the bowl.
- Squeeze in the oranges or grapefruit. Add the orange blossom and toss. Serve in individual bowls or glasses.