I remember the day and place my husband and I discovered the combination of fruits and rosemary. It was in 2010 when we moved to Los Angeles from Israel, at Sage vegan bistro in Silver Lake. It was a revelation. Because for years I experimented with flavors and I never thought to use it in non-savory dishes. I always associated the piney wooden scent of the rosemary with roasted potatoes but since that day I think about apples and pears when I sniff it.
You can make this salad with as many fruits you like or with only 2-3 kinds, as long as you have at hand oranges, clementines or grapefruit . Their juice binds the salad.
Wintery Fruit Salad With Rosemary
- 4 apples - any
- 4 persimmons
- 2 bananas
- 2-3 asian pears or any pear
- 4 plums
- 1 small sprig rosemary - (about 20 leaves)
- 4 oranges (or mandarines or 2 grapefruit,)
- ¼ teaspoon orane blossom (optional)
- Peel and dice the fruits and put them in a large salad bowl. Chop the rosemary leaves finely and add it to the bowl.
- Squeeze in the oranges or grapefruit. Add the orange blossom and toss. Serve in individual bowls or glasses.