Leo and Alex never refuse to help when I offer to make something sweet. So here they are making chocolate chip cookies. All on their own! Leo reads the directions, while Alex wildly and clumsily beats the batter, and I take the pictures. Thanks to the camera in my hands I can’t help them or take over.
They actually did a fantastic job, not too messy and no fighting. Some of the cookies burnt, but it was my fault.
There are hundreds of recipes out there for chocolate chip cookies but, in my opinion, the most successful one is this one. I adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks, The River Cottage Family Cookbook – a must-have book for anyone who is interested in cooking, whether you are a professional or new to the kitchen. Kids can learn so much from this book, for example: where our food comes from, how to grow your own vegetables and how to make things like butter, jams and chocolate . The book has a huge selection of great recipes. And the writing is brilliant!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 stick (or ½ cup) unsalted butter
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 free-range egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with a parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan on low heat. Meanwhile, put the coconut sugar into a mixing bowl. Pour the melted butter in and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Break the egg in and add the vanilla. Mix until the mixture is well blended.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, and salt and stir to combine. Add the chocolate chips.
- Use a tablespoon to place dollops of the mixture on the lined baking sheets, leaving 2″ (4 cm) space between them – the cookies really spread out!
- Put the baking sheets in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the cookies are just turning golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet on a cooling rack before eating or storing.
No comments yet
Thank you! Very kind of you.
I was lucky to eat these crunchy and delicious cookies made by Alex, the little one. If you are on a diet don’t bake them, you won’t be able to eat just one.