These are not your typical New York-style bagels or any traditional bagels, but they do have a hole and can be enjoyed with cream cheese and beet-lax, or my personal favorite, avocado. Additionally, they are much easier and quicker to make. While I’m not a fan of the keto diet, if you follow a ketogenic lifestyle, I think these bagels can work for you. Check though. They are made with almond meal and tapioca flour, both natural and wholesome ingredients. However, I advise you to consume no more than two bagels per day. Almonds are generally considered healthy when consumed in moderation.
Years ago, when I was following a vegan diet and relied, heavily, on nuts, I developed an almond allergy. Each time I consumed almonds, I couldn’t breathe properly. I stopped eating them for about a year until the allergy eventually subsided.
If you don’t follow me on Instagram please do, I post there many more recipes.
Grain-Free Sesame Bagels
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey - optional
- ⅔ cup hot water
- Brush with:
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 2 teaspoons water or with 3 tablespoons tea mixed with 1 tablespoon maple.
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds - poppy seed, sea salt or Trader Joe’s everything bagel mix.
- Preheat oven to 350°C/180°F and line a cookie sheet with baking paper. Fill a medium sauce pan with water and bring into a boil.
- In a large bowl, mix the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder and salt. Add the cider vinegar, maple syrup and water and mix well to combine. The dough should be a bit sticky so keep a small bowl with water on the side to wet your hands before you work with it.
- Devide the dough into 8 portions. Form each portion into a ball and press your finger in the center of it to creat a hole and gently put it in the hot water. Remove as soon as the bagels float with a slotted spoon and place them on the baking sheet.
- BAKE FOR 10 MINUTES THEN remove from oven and brush with egg yolk or tea and maple and sprinkle your toppings. Return the bagels to the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let them rest for 10-15 minutes before you slice them.