NO! Not another recipe for pancakes! I know I know I know! I hear you, the world doesn’t need another pancake recipe but this one is very good.
When I think of it, I rarely make the same pancake recipe. Somehow I always make them different. If we don’t have eggs, I make them vegan. If I know that I’ll eat some, I make them with a nut milk such as almond or coconut milk. If I make them during the week for early breakfast before the kids go to school, I make them extra nutritious by using wholesome flours such as spelt, oat or buckwheat and adding to them grains such as flax or chia seeds. My boys would be happy to eat the same basic pancakes but I’m the one with the urgency to play.
I came up with the perfect gluten-free flour ratio, you can’t tell that they’re gluten-free.
Lemon Poppy Pancakes (Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free)
- ¾ cup almond-meal
- ¾ cup gluten-free oat flour – you can grind 1 cup of rolled oats in the food processor
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar – optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk – or any nut milk
- Lemon zest & juice from 1 lemon or orange
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil – or avocado oil + more to grease the skillet
- 2 free-range eggs
- Pure maple syrup
- Butter – ghee, plant-based butter, nut butter or tahini butter
- Put the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk. Add the almond milk, lemon juice and oil and whisk until everything is combined into a smooth batter. Break in the eggs and gently whisk them.
- Grease a griddle or nonstick skillet and put over medium-high heat (hot enough to make drops of water sizzle).
- Pour about ½ cup batter into the skillet. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes or until bubbles start to appear on the surface of the pancakes, then flip with a spatula and cook for 30 seconds or until the bottom is golden-brown.
- Transfer the pancakes into a plate and keep in a 350°F/180°C preheated oven to keep them warm. Serve with butter, plant-based butter, nut butter or tahini, and maple syrup.