I needed to bring something for a friend’s birthday picnic in nature (Franklin Canyon). I didn’t have any direction or idea, or a lot to choose from. I found a box of cremini mushrooms in the fridge and walnuts in the freezer. It was the first time that I made a mushroom paté or any paté. Everybody loved it, including my boys.
It’s easy to make and contains only 5 ingredients.
You can see how I make it on Instagram, in my highlights @ShellysHumbleKitchen. Please follow me if you don’t xxs
Plant-based mushroom & walnut paté
Servings: 3 oz. jar
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- 1-2 large shallots - sliced
- 2 tablespoons plant-based butter or olive oil
- 2 cups cremini* mushrooms - remove stem and slice
- Coarse salt
- Black pepper
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon truffle oil - optional
- Put avocado or olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the shallots, stirring occasionally, until they're translucent. Lower the heat to medium if necessary.
- Stir in the vegan butter or oil and mushrooms. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Put the mushrooms mixture in a food processor and process for 1 minute. Add salt, pepper, walnuts, balsamic and truffle oil and process until smooth.
- Put the paté in a container or jar, seal and store in the fridge for minimum 30 minutes. Serve with a good sourdough bread or crackers.
*You can use other mushrooms such as baby Portobello but don't use shiitakes, they will make your paté too rubbery (from experience).