I already said it a hundred times, I love potatoes and everything that is made with potatoes. Everything! Especially mashed potatoes.
You don’t need much for this pie. You probably have most of the ingredients in hand (As for produce you need potatoes, onion and mushrooms)
The idea of piping the mashed potato isn’t mine, I wish. One of the best contestants on Master Chef Israel, season 7, made this and won the challenge, and highly impressed the judges . His was vegetarian with lots of butter and milk. This one is plant-based and very delicious. Alex, my 13 year-old, said that it was the best mashed potato he ever had. Enjoy xxs
Plant-based Shepherd's pie
Servings: 2 -4
For the mashed potatoes layer
- 4 medium waxy potatoes
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt & black pepper
For the bottom layer
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 medium onion - diced
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Salt & black pepper
- 1 pint mushrooms - chopped
- 1 cup lentils - preferably soaked in water for 1 hour
- 5 thyme sprigs or ¼ teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup water
- Put the potatoes in a medium pan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil until they're very tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the bottom layer: Put the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is warm add the onion, spices, salt and pepper and cook until the onion is translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mushrooms and saute them for 1 minute. Add the rest of the bottom layer ingredients. Lower the heat to simmer, cover the skillet and cook until the lentils are tender about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally and make sure that the bottom of the skillet isn’t burning. If all the liquid evaporated and the lentils are still chewy, add 2 - 4 tablespoons of water.
- Make the mashed potatoes: peel the potatoes and put in a medium bowl. Using a potato masher or potato ricer mash them into the bowl. Add the mashed potatoes ingredients and mix until well combined. Taste and correct seasoning.
- Remove the bay leaf and thyme stems. Put the mushroom lentil in a small (8inch / 20cm) round or square ovenproof dish and spread it evenly.
- Put the mashed potatoes in a piping bag* fitted with a large flower drop tip. Hold the bag straight but bend your wrist inward. With the tip just touching the surface, hold the top of the bag with one hand and use your other hand to gently squeeze out the mashed potatoes. Stop squeezing before lifting the tip away. Cover the pie with flowers. It’s okay if the flowers aren’t the same size.
- Put the pie in the broiler for 10 minutes or until the mashed potatoes get some brown lines or patches.