I think I’ve never made the same potato salad twice. This time I used caramelized onions, which gave the salad an extra sweetness and smooth texture – comforting, delicious, easy to make, and only basic ingredients: potatoes, onion, any herb, and mayonnaise or veganaise. It should work with any type of onion.
Potato & Caramelized Onion Salad
- 4 – 5 medium potatoes
- 2 – 3 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 large onion or 2 medium – sliced
- 5-10 sage leaves or any herb you have in hand – such as dill, oregano, rosemary, parsley
- ¼ cup veganaise or mayonnaise
- Black pepper
- Boil the potatoes in water until they are tender. Meanwhile, warm the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion and sage until the onion is caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool a little bit. Peel them and put in a large bowl. Break them with a spoon into different sizes of chunks (on the small side). It’s okay if some of it get mashed. Add the caramelized onion and sage and toss. Add the veganaise (mayo), salt and pepper, and toss until the potatoes are coated in the mayo. Taste and correct seasoning, garnish with herb and serve.