Carrot isn’t the most exciting vegetable, right? But when you steam it lightly, to soften it just slightly, then mix it with homemade harissa (or store bought) and lemon juice it becomes the sultan of the garden. So make a lot of it. Your family and friends would want more than one serving.
Moroccan-Style Carrot & Harissa
Spicy and naturally sweet mezze or side.
Servings: 4 as a mezze
- 8-10 medium carrots or sweet potato - peeled
- Lemon Juice from 1 small lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- Handful parsley or cilantro - chopped finely
- Steam the carrots for 5 – 7 minutes until they’re starting to get tender (steaming time is depending on the size of the carrots). It’s not the end of the world if they tender, the salad would still be yummy. I like them a bit chewy.
- Slice the carrots into 1 inch and put into a medium bowl. Squeeze lemon juice over them and add the rest of the ingredients, and toss. Taste and correct seasoning. You can eat as a mezze, side, snack or in a sandwich.