Usually when I have leftover rice I make fried rice or rice salad with any vegetables and herbs I find in the fridge or pantry, and serve it as a meal. It’s like preparing one big rice bowl instead of a bunch of individual bowls.
Wild Rice Salad
- 3 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 small onion - diced
- 1 medium sweet potato - diced small
- 1 broccoli head - separated into small florets
- 1 small bunch collard green or Swiss chard or kale* - chopped
- 2 cups cooked wild - brown or basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons barberries - toasted on a skillet for 1 minute – optional
- 1 red chili - seeds removed & chopped finely – optional
- Handful cilantro or parsley or both - chopped finely
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Serve with (optional)
- Put the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sweet potato and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat to medium and add the broccoli, collard greens and ¼ cup water. Add salt and stir. Sauté until the sweet potato is tender.
- Warm the rice (if using leftovers) and put it in a large bowl. Put over the sautéed veggies, barberries, chili and herbs. Add the dressing ingredients and toss. Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Serve with slices of avocado and harissa or another hot sauce on the side. Enjoy!