I don’t like leftovers. I don’t like to eat them nor put them in a container, knowing that I would end up throwing the food away and wasting more by washing the container. My husband loves leftovers though he rarely eats them. He says that it’s my fault because I cook everyday. I keep telling him that I have to cook everyday because one small or medium container of leftovers won’t be enough for the four of us. Occasionally he would warm it up for lunch when I’m not home but most of the time they end up in the trash. So last year I started giving them to the neighbors.The only leftover I don’t mind to keep is rice. Primarily because my teenage son could eat rice everyday, three times a day, if he could. And also because it’s convenient when you have 10 minutes to make lunch. I usually make fried rice, rice bowl or rice with caramelized onions.
If you don’t have enough rice, you can make rice noodles or quinoa and mix them together. Or make extra vegetables.
Wild Rice With Vegetables & Herbs
- 3 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 small onion - diced
- 1 medium sweet potato - diced small
- 1 broccoli head - separated into small florets
- 1 small bunch collard green or Swiss chard or kale* - chopped
- 2 cups cooked wild - brown or basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons barberries - toasted on a skillet for 1 minute – optional
- 1 red chili - seeds removed & chopped finely – optional
- Handful cilantro or parsley or both - chopped finely
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Serve with (optional)
- Put the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sweet potato and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat to medium and add the broccoli, collard greens and ¼ cup water. Add salt and stir. Sauté until the sweet potato is tender.
- Warm the rice (if using leftovers) and put it in a large bowl. Put over the sautéed veggies, barberries, chili and herbs. Add the dressing ingredients and toss. Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Serve with slices of avocado and harissa or another hot sauce on the side. Enjoy!