The original Moroccan recipe is with fish. You make it the way I made it but with fish fillets on top of the peppers. It’s good and comforting with or without the fish. And even better with harissa.
Moroccan-Style simmered potatoes & chickpeas
- 6 medium potatoes - peeled and sliced
- 4 carrots - peeled and sliced
- 2 small red bell pepper - I used purple but it’s much better with red, seeds removed and sliced
- 4 medium garlic cloves - peeled
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas - or canned
- Handful cilantro - rinsed and chopped
- 1 red chili - whole, fresh or dried
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Put the potatoes in a heavy-bottom pot (arrange them on the bottom). Add the carrots, bell peppers, garlic, chickpea and cilantro. Sprinkle salt and add 1 cup water. Bring into a boil. Boil for 5 minutes then lower the heat to simmer.
- Mix the olive oil with paprika and turmeric and pour over the vegetables. Cover the pot and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Serve in a deep plate with the oily juice and a spoon of harissa.