Six years ago I didn’t think I can cook rice together with the vegetables or meat in one pot. Now I use this method to cook all kind of things, especially when I’m in rush or feeling lazy – it takes about 7 minutes to prepare, plus 25 minute cooking time and only one pot to clean. It’s also a great dish to make when there’s not much in the fridge.
Enjoy the recipe video!
If you have any questions please email me or comment below.
Sweet Potato Rice & Quinoa Pilaf
- 1 large onion – or 2 small ones
- 1 large carrot
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons canola – or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ cup golden berries – or raisins
- 1 cup brown basmati rice – or plain brown rice
- 1 cup quinoa
- Toasted almonds – crushed
- 1 Handful cilantro – chopped
- Olive oil
- Dice the onion, carrot and sweet potato.
- Put the oil in a large skillet over medium-heat. When the oil is hot add the onion, turmeric and cinnamon stick and saute until the onion is translucent. Stirring occasionally, don’t let the onion burn. If the heat is too high, lower it a bit.
- Add the carrot, sweet potato and golden berries and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the salt, rice and quinoa and stir for 1 minute.
- Add 3 cups water and bring into a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pot then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat but wait 5 minutes before you open the lid.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve in a soup plate. Sprinkle crushed almonds, cilantro and a drizzle of olive oil.