Not much is happening these days. The highlight of the previous week was our visit to Underwood Family Farms, in Moorpark CA. When my boys were little we used to go there often. They used to love picking the vegetables themselves and still do at 15 and 18! I don’t know why was I so surprised when they asked to go, I am 47 and I still gets excited about picking my own fruits and vegetables.
Every season they have different produce. We picked radishes, tomatoes, zucchini, kale, beets. The pumpkins were too big so I bought instead squashes, which reminded me of this recipe. I thought maybe for Thanksgiving dinner? It’s simple and easy to make but it looks festive and earthy. I don’t know, I am not an expert in Thanksgiving. I made this for dinner on a Tuesday or Wednesday night. It should work with any type of winter squash such as delicata and pumpkin.
Roasted Butternut Squash with Mushrooms & Walnuts
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and diced small - or another type of winter squash
- Avocado oil or any neutral tasting oil
- Coarse salt
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small garlic cloves, crushed
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini butter* - *Middle Eastern tahini is more runny and more delicious
- Handful walnuts, chopped
- Fresh oregano, thyme or parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400°F / 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Put the butternut squash on the tray, drizzle avocado oil, sprinkle salt and toss with your hands to coat the squash in oil. Spread it over the tray and bake until tender and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Warm about 3 tablespoons of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and saute for 5 – 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Don't add salt , it would make the mushroom release their liquids. Remove from the heat.
- Put the butternut squash into a large serving plate and add the mushrooms over. Sprinkle a little bit of salt.
- Zest the lemon over and squeeze the juice over the squash and mushrooms. Drizzle the tahini butter over and sprinkle the walnuts. Garnish with the herb and serve.