Most bread recipes normally take 1-2 hours to proof, this dough needs only 30-50 minutes. Another convenient fact is the number of ingredients; 2, flour and yeast. I adopted the recipe from Musa Dagdeviren’s magnificent cookbook The Turkish Cookbook . Musa is featured in one of the episodes of Chef’s Table (Netflix).
You can see how I make it in Instagram in my highlights @ShellysHumbleKitchen. Please follow me if you don’t 🙂
Turkish-Style Yeasted Flatbreads
Easy and relatively quick to make Turkish-style flat breads
Servings: 4 flatbreads
For the dough:
- 2 cups spelt or wholewheat flour + extra for dusting
- 1 ½ teaspoons instant-dry yeast
- 1 teaspoons coconut sugar or honey - optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
To give the bread gloss (optional)
- 1 tablespoon spelt or all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon filtered water
- Put the dough ingredients in a medium bow and mix with your hand. Add ¾ cup filtered water and mix with your hand to combine. Knead the dough in the bowl for 1 minute then put it on a floured surface and knead. If the dough is too dry add 1-2 tablespoons water. If it’s too moist add a little bit of flour. Knead it until it’s smooth and soft, about 7 minutes.
- Shape it into a ball then put back in the bowl. Cover with a moistened kitchen towel and let it proof in a warm spot for 30 – 50 minutes, until it doubles its size.
- Divide the dough into four (for even-size breads, use a scale, I use my eyes) and shape into balls. Place them on a floured tray and cover with the same moistened towel for 15 minutes. Place in a warm spot.
- Flatten the balls into round 6” (15cm) pitas and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover with the moistened towel and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Make the flour wash. Mix the flour with the water.
- Brush the flatbread with the flour water mix, then press gently any pattern you like on the bread with your finger. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the breads are golden.
- Let them cool on a wire rack.