I don’t know whose idea it was to infuse oil with spices but it’s brilliant! We always had a jar of oil infused with paprikas in the fridge. All the Moroccan families did have one ready to use in the matbucha or fish tagine. My mother uses canola oil. I used olive oil for a while and now I use avocado oil because its flavor is neutral. I also add a dash of smoky paprika and chili flakes instead of hot paprika. It reminds me of Chinese chili oil which we like to drizzle on vegetable dishes to give them more depth.
you can use it instead of harissa over dips such as hummus, mezze such as eggplant & tomato, cooked salads such as steamed or burnet eggplant and Moroccan carrot, braised vegetable dishes such as Moroccan style braised potatoes & chickpeas , vermicelli noodles and avocado toast.
Sweet, Smoky & Spicy Chili Oil
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes
- 1 cup avocado or olive oil
- Put all the ingredients in a small jar and mix. Seal the jar and keep in the fridge.
- Don't mix before you use. USE only the oil and keep the paprikas in the bottom. You can stir it every now and then but let the paprika settle in the bottom before you use the oil.
- When the oil is finished, you can pour new oil into the jar, mix and use one more time and discard.