I don’t know whose idea it was to infuse oil with spices but it’s a good one. My Moroccan grandmother and mother always kept a jar of oil infused with paprikas in the fridge. My mother infuses canola oil with sweet and hot paprikas. I used olive oil for a while and now I use avocado oil because its flavor is more neutral. I also make it with a little bit of smoky paprika and chili flakes instead of hot paprika. It reminds me Chinese chili oil which I like to drizzle on many dishes.
you can use it instead of harissa over dips such as hummus, mezze such as eggplant & tomato , cooked salads such as steamed or burnet eggplant and Moroccan carrot, braised vegetable dishes such as Moroccan style braised potatoes & chickpeas , vermicelli noodles and avocado toast.
Sweet, Smoky & Spicy Chili Oil
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes
- 1 cup avocado or olive oil
- Put all the ingredients in a small jar and mix. Seal the jar and keep in the fridge.
- Don't mix before you use. USE only the oil and keep the paprikas in the bottom. You can stir it every now and then but let the paprika settle in the bottom before you use the oil.
- When the oil is finished, you can pour new oil into the jar, mix and use one more time and discard.